Contributing to open source projects

Hello Frank and team,

I have been utilizing your software libraries, both Snmp4j and Snmp++ for about 2-3 years now. Snmp has more or less been my life since graduating college. I’ve been responsible for creating snmp agent emulators for software integration, as well as creating and integrating manager software into our existing products. I am greatly appreciative of all the help and guidance you’ve given me over the years and hoping to maybe give back in some way!

I have been considering contributing to open source projects on my free time. I figured since SNMP has essentially been my specialty thus far in my professional career that I could maybe help contribute in some shape or form?

Please let me know if there’s some way I can contribute. I think it would be pretty awesome to have my name up in those header files one day!

Hi Steven,

I am glad to hear that you like developing SNMP solutions. Contributing directly to SNMP4J is a bit complicated because we do not have a public code repository by reason. The goal is to have a clean intellectual property right management and a secure code basis.
For AGENT++, AgentX++, and SNMP4J-Agent* the situation is the same.

I think the easiest way to contribute your own code and ideas, is creating your own open source API that implements additional use cases or solutions. If you have an idea for such an add-on and some API interface of any AGENTPP API could be improved to support your use cases, then we will be happy to discuss how to improve the APIs accordingly.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Frank

I’m not sure if I have any specific use cases other than extending the staticMoGroup obejct to create a dynamicMoGroup object. I’m not sure what I was looking for to be honest, maybe just something along the line of if an RFC update comes out and the API needs to be updated I could use it as a sort of coding challenge to see if I can figure out how to implement a change in snmp++ or snmp4j. Or maybe a bug fix in snmp++/snmp4j